HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big name hunters & ethics
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Mr. Longbeard
Nontypical Buck

Default Big name hunters & ethics

people are quick to jump on someone for taking a bad shot at a game animal... All the holier than thow people come out of the wood work and ripp people up... And I always think to my self that these guys are full of of it!!! If put in a certain situation they would prob do the same thing...

Was watching easton outdoors with fred ehcler(spelling) the other day and he was out in arizona hunting couse deer... I dont know a hole lot about these deer but from what I do know they dont get very big racks and that they are some what elusive... Well he's is sitting on a water hole on public land and this pretty big couse deer comes in and he say's it's the biggest one he ever saw... To me it had a med size rack but from what I hear this thing was a real trophy... Anyhow if you know this guy he hunts mostly with a recurve and that is what he was hunting with... The deer is quatering towards him and is like 35 yards away... Im thinking no shot... But he says he is confident in his shooting skills and takes the shot... He puts a perfect shot on this deer and it only goes about 50 yards and piles up... The first thing that poped into my mind was..."dude your shooting a recurve" no matter how good you are this is DEFINETLY not the bow to be taking this kind of shot with!!! He new this was a once in a lifetime trophy and there is no way he was letting this deer walk without trying a shot...

I guees what Im getting at is all these people preach ethical shots and say they would never take a bad shot at a deer... But if all you got is public land to hunt and the chance of killing a real trophy is just about non exsitant and a monster walks up on you in your stand and he's 35 yards away and quatering towards you and this is the only shot you got... Do you let him walk or do you take a chance and bare down and hope the gods are smiling down upon you???

Obiously Fred Echler hoped the gods were smiling down on him...

I my self would of took the shot my self...

The reason Im pulling ol fred into this is becuase it proves what I've said all along... People say one thing and do something total different!!! If fred would of made a horific shot on this animal I would of never seen that footage...

What do you guys think???

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 08-30-2010 at 08:47 AM.