HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big Racks Craze
Thread: Big Racks Craze
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Mr. Longbeard
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by doetrain
I'm new to Deer hunting,I'm 54 and was raised in the city most of my life so hunting is not something I was aware of growing up. I know a few people who have Deer hunted down through the years and I don't remember them being so much concerned about how big a set of antlers their Deer had. It seemed to me just geting one and it having a lot of meat is what mattered most. But now it seems what matters most is how nice of a rack it has. When did this become the most important thing when it comes to shooting a Deer? I don't think it's wrong to be excited about baging a nice trophy Buck but the shows seem to put all the focus on this alone 90% of the time. I'll be honest with you just seeing and baging a deer period is a great satisfaction to me. Just like shooting a Turkey even if he is only a nice Jake satisfies me as well. I consider having success on a hunt baging the game you went out to hunt and enjoying the whole expierence not just geting a trophy as being the measure of success. Do you agree?

I might be wrong but I'll bet you hunt mostly public land huh???

Because most of these people you are talking about are hunting prime private land and big racks are the norm...