HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Excalibur Xbow Users - Bolt, String & Broadhead You Recommend
Old 08-29-2010, 10:42 AM
awshucks
Nontypical Buck

I used to use an Emax, now have had a few 200# platforms and a Vixen for my kid.

My best set up has been GT LII's, brass inserts and 100 gr points, 2" Blazers [400 gr total]for accuracy at 50 yds target shooting. I use Slick Trick 'Mags" [1 1/8" vs 1" Standards] I have some Standards but haven't tried them since I have beau coup Mags.

I also have the remains of a doz custom 'old' Gt's w/ wraps that weigh about 446 gr w/ 100 gr points and 4" vanes. I'm using them up before I go to even more old GT's sans wraps at 435 gr.

My reasons are I have bear here. I have shot a 200# hog w/ the Blazered ones at 400 gr. Barely slowed the arrow down from a Y-25.

I use 'Boo' strings w/ whiskers. They give me about 1/2 way between FFF and factory endless loop dacron for fps. They come: pre-stretched, made to your preferred bheight, and have unbelievable serving life. My Emax was a serving eater, one of the reasons it's gone now, but never forgotten, lol.

Back when Excal used the old GT's as their arrows, they came w/ alum inserts and 5" vanes, about 357 gr w/ 100 gr points. They coupled w/ an FFF string on an Emax was not near as pleasant a shooter as either heavier arrows or el dacron string.

The FFF's are unforgiving if you have a dry fire. Your bow has plenty of oomph to use the dacron and heavier arrows if you aren't a speed freak, lol. I say that as once upon a time, I was.

Last edited by awshucks; 08-29-2010 at 10:45 AM.