HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What's your favorite features
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
blgoode
Spike

I like easy to sharpen (S30V Ain't that) and I like comfort and usability. My favorite knife steel is 0-1 high carbon as it hold a great edge and can be sharpened to hair popping sharp in less than 2 min it you do not let the edge get dull to the point of being visibly dull. You can bring 0-1 back to sharp my stropping on the leather sheath itself or the back of a leather boot if needed.

If I'm going for more a stainless knife I prefer D2 currently because it is very stain resistant and holds tool steel qualities.

I don't like gut hooks but that's just me

I prefer 3" to max 4" for skinners and general utilities in a simple drop point. I like flat ground geometry in a blade and a good thickness or thinness depending on the task intended for the knife. Don't try and say I want a good slicer and chopper dual design from 1/4" stock but then I also want it to be a filet knife. Not a logical combination of needs intended with desire from buyer.

Anyway. My personal feature is being able to bring the edge back in the field with simple sharpening devices. For me 0-1 is king in this area.