HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - A test for ya'll ! Identify this please...
Old 08-24-2010, 09:00 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by mcraddock
Is this tree fairly common in the midwest? Fence rows?

I didn't see much evidence of the apples being eaten. I did find a bunch of worms or caterpillars in the center of one fruit hat had turned brown. These trees had to have been planted at this farm decades ago. They are on the corners of what is now a defunct barbed wire fence on property lines of a dairy farm. As stated before, I have never seen these where I hunt and fish in South Carolina or Georgia before. So I'm a little curious as to how they got here.
Back in the day, farms all over made hedgerows from em. About impossible even for a cow to get thru. More and more farmers are sick of me. They grow out of control and intertaigled. Most have cut em down. Sharp suckers.

I always keep a keen eye out of em to get permission to cut em. Unfortately only about 1 in every 8 trees has good bow wood in it. They like to grow twisted and have tons of pin knots. You let me get too old and they are not great bow wood. About 10" trunk is about as good as it gets.