HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How noisy are climbing tree stands?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:24 AM
UPHunter08
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainHunter
Leaving a climbing stand at the bottom of a tree is an invitation to theft (maybe not a problem where you hunt, but would be a major bummer).
One way to reduce this risk is to lock it to the tree with a cable. I've done this occasionally (rarely, the last few years) when I've hunted one evening and planned on coming back the next day. That way I could get set up that much faster and quieter without having to pack in the stand and set it up on the tree. I figure that if someone is going to steal it, they need to plan ahead and bring bolt cutters to remove the cable...something they can do just as easily with a hang-on (if they're going to bring bolt cutters, they'll just as easily take along a climbing stick too).

I won't leave a stand on any publicly accessible land for long, including hang-ons or ladder stands, where I think that theft is a problem. That's probably the #1 reason I prefer climbers...I always have the peace of mind that my property will not be stolen because I've left nothing in the woods.