HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How noisy are climbing tree stands?
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 07:21 AM
MountainHunter
Typical Buck

I have a Viper and I think it's a good stand, but I haven't used it in the past few years, since I got my Lone Wolf Alpha Assault, which is a very quiet (one-piece cast aluminum platform that is solid, not welded hollow tubes), very light (11 lbs) and secure hang-on stand.

I really like being able to go up and down from my stand when I want to. I sometimes like to do stalk hunts mid-day, to get me out of my stand for a change of pace. It also makes it easier to leave the stand up and just take my climbing sticks (4 sticks = 10 lbs), if I want to leave it up overnight or for a few days. Leaving a climbing stand at the bottom of a tree is an invitation to theft (maybe not a problem where you hunt, but would be a major bummer).

I think the Lone Wolf sticks also make it easier to get up in a wider variety of trees. They don't connect to each other and the steps flip to either side for more flexibility of placement and don't require trimming of branches or "telephone pole trees". And they stack/pack very tightly with each other and my stand. I also think the hang-on sticks are quieter than a climber. They're pretty pricey, but very well made and well-engineered, IMHO. Total weight of stand + sticks = 21 lbs. I udnertsand you're on a tight budget this year, but think about it if you get some money in your pockets (or for a Christmas gift request ;-))

Good luck!