HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - CB Percentage of Drops vs. Having to Track
Old 08-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Bonner1
Spike

Default CB Percentage of Drops vs. Having to Track

Based on responses I got with my initial post I needed to re-word some things. They made me feel as welcome as a raging case of herpes. FYI - I am not sticking to a rifle but appreciate the offer.

Lets try this again.

I am a newbie to crossbows - was curious how many deer you drop vs have to track? Up till this point all I have ever done is rifle hunt (never have bowhunted) and fully understand you arent going to drop deer with a CB like you do with a rifle. I dont have much experience at all tracking (never have had to do it on my deer but the very few times I have we were not successful so therefore I dont particularly enjoy it - rather be spending that time driving to the processor but realize that will be part of hunting with a CB and shot placement is critical). The least amount of tracking I have to do with good shot placement the better. I just want to have proper expectations with this new venture. Typically (ballpark) with a well placed double lung or heart shot, how far are your deer running?

I would also like to know what your preferred arrow and broadhead package is that you have had the most luck with dropping deer and/or causing the most damage to limit distance they run. I know that is opening up a can of worms (mechanical vs fixed, etc).

Thanks

Last edited by Bonner1; 08-21-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Responses since initail post