HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tasco trail cameras
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 PM
J.M.A.N.
Fork Horn

Robbi,

Tasco is owned by Bushnell. That being said, Tasco is the low end arm of Bushnell designed to sell "price point" products. That is what this camera is...a price point.

When it comes to trail cameras, the old addage "you get what you pay for" could never be truer. I started out with a $50 camera and three weeks later I returned it and went to a $79 camera (oooh, such a big leap). Kept it for a week and two sets of D cell batteries before sending it back and just getting a refund. This is when I did an internet search for game cameras and came across http://www.trailcampro.com, Chasingame, and few other places. The statistics at TrailCamPro is what settled my decision on my next purchase and that was the first of 7 Bushnell Trophy Cams (BTCs) I have purchased and some of the best money I have ever spent.

The statistics on the Tasco aren't bad, but they aren't really good either. It certainly would have problems as a trail camera with a 2+ second trigger time. It might be OK for a feeder cam. I'm not sure but I think with the Tasco you can only do 1 shot every 30 seconds-1 minute and that is about all you can set. Not sure how the battery life is on the Tasco which to me is one of THE most important aspects of a camera as well as trigger speed, recovery time, burst mode, and sensing ability.

Buying a game camera is really not a simple question and one I don't think you will be able to answer with a $50 camera. The WGI IR4 ($79.95) will give you a whole lot more bang for your buck as far as an inexpensive camera goes and seems to have a very respectable battery life/picture life cycle. Be very careful, this is an addiction!

JMAN