HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Food plot destroyed
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 05:18 AM
LittleChief
Nontypical Buck

Default Food plot destroyed

I posted this in another forum but thought I should post it here also just in case. It might save someone a lot of time, work and money.

A couple days ago I noticed that the clover in my ONLY food plot looked like it had been grazed down. It didn't concern me since I'd seen a lot of sign that deer had been there. Yesterday I walked down (it's only a short walk from my house) and took a look and it's all GONE. Not just here and there, but everywhere. Everything else that I'd planted was on it's way to being gone as well. Practically the only thing left were weeds.

I took the time to look closer and it looked like the ground was moving here and there. On closer inspection, the whole area was crawling with thousands or maybe tens of thousands of caterpillars about 1 1/4 inches long. I've never seen anything like it in my life. When I started checking other areas, they were even eating the bermuda in our horse pasture. I also noticed that quite a few trees had some damage also. I mixed up five 30 gallon tanks of Triazicide and hammered the little buggers, but the damage is done. I don't know if anything will come back or not.

This really burns me. I've been babying this plot for two years now. I would assume that this is just a local phenomenon, but it might be a good idea to take a look at your food plots.