HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - iDEAS ABOUT SCENT FREE
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2010, 08:01 AM
OHbowhntr
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
i agree, i sometimes just wear my carhartz when rifle hunting, smoking as well, but trying to get with-in 40 yards of a deer with a bow in a heavily hunted area with a cigarette in your mouth shedding skin cells all over aint very likely, from my experience. and certainly wont land ya that booner ya would like to get someday.i aint saying it isn't possible, but doesnt work in the pines of east texas. fo sho
I think you're putting more into it that you realize, and I can show you a couple guys who smoke all day, and kill some GREAT deer, because they put the efforts in to get to them, hunt hard and hunt smart.

Now let me dress down the scent control thing......

It starts at home and well before the season opens for me by using scent free detergent and softener on ALL of my clothes, bedding linens, bath towels, etc. Even the wife and kids clothes get the SCENT-FREE treatment as it gets the scent out of my washer and dryer. I annually pull the spindle and clean it out, so there is no residual of smell softener in it about a month before season opens up, therefore making sure I'm good to go by the time the season comes in.

After that, I use a low odor soap, then follow through with a scent-free body wash. The boots I wear are kept in the box I bought them in, and come out once afield, and go back in that box once back at my truck. I wear X-Scent/X-Static base layers, and a face mask (the face mask does 2 very important things, first, it hides my ugly mug, but secondly, it limits the scent of my breath from lingering all over the woods). Playing the wind is also beneficial, but I've yet to ever find a place where the winds CONSISTENTLY blow in only one direction. They always tend to swirl at least a little. Don't buy that, light a little fire and see how many directions the wind will blow in an hour.... But with that thought in mind, I do still make the effort to try to make my set-ups more conducive the general wind directions. I spray just a little earth scent if I'm in an area where earth scent is going to be a common scent, otherwise, I leave cover scents alone nowadays. As far as the "shedding skin," it's not as prominent as you make it sound IMHO, and I've noted that my movement has gotten me busted far more times than SCENT, and I've killed more than a few deer that traveled down the same path I'd just traveled a short time before. While I think you have some good ideas, I'm not completely sold on all of them.