HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 07:19 PM
ronlaughlin
Nontypical Buck

A couple of weeks ago or so, Gm54-120 wrote

Default CVA breach plug idea

I dont know how well this would work and cleaning would require removing the vent liner but....

Im not sure if it would have any advantages but im curious. If it had a slight crush fit it sounds like a good idea...maybe

Add the vent liner a bit below flush but dont drill the flash hole all the way to the primer. Leave a short OEM flash channel size (or close) for a "shoulder" for the primer.

This one is more interesting to me since i have a Accura 45.

I want to try is a mid or deeper depth vent liner plug without head spacing (at first) but with roughly a .500 vent liner pocket if there is enough metal. The reason is my Elite 45 really likes this setup with the Lehigh conversion.

Im just not sure if there is enough metal on the CVA plug for the larger pocket.

Ignition seems more intense for lack of a better term with the bigger vent liner pocket but only noticeably in the 45cal. I have been watching for signs of barrel erosion too because i was concerned and it seems ok.

Scott
A while back, and quite by accident, it was learned that a grade 8 5/8" x 18 bolt will thread right into the breech of a CVA. The breech plug in the center is the result of the musing, and the knowledge that was stumbled upon; a 5/8 x 18 bolt is the same thread as a CVA breech plug.

The center breech plug was milled using a grade 8 bolt as stock. The big hole didn't end up at 0.5". It is 0.469", and that doesn't leave much in the way of a rim. The #21 drill wasn't run all the way to the primer pocket. The flash channel is 1/8" at the primer pocket, and then it becomes #21 diameter, so threads could be cut for a vent liner. The primer pocket was made so that head space is 0.019" less than factory.

Naturally, after milling the plug, one must try it out. Seven shots were fired off the stick, and that was enough as the temperature today was 90*, up there in the hills. Head space was nearly too tight, as a couple of times the gun had to be 'slammed' into battery. One of the things i found interesting is head space can be readily adjusted looser, by moving the barrel end of the breech plug on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface, because the rim is so thin.

Returning home: