HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - how good do you need to be???
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
MO Archer
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sniggle
Practice from a tree stand.
Practice moving your bow on target from either side (like your were following a deer) and then make the shot.
Practice grunting to stop a deer with the bow off the bullseye, then taking 1-2 seconds to bring the bow on target and release.
Get a 'deer target' and practice making a good shot in the vitals avoiding the shoulder blade from various angles.

Wait for a close shot, 10-15 yards....its a lot harder when the deer is in your sights.

Enjoy.
This 100%

If you practice these things enough it will become more or less a thoughtless instinct to make the shot when hunting. I can't remember the last time I had to 'think' when making a shot on a deer. It just all comes together and happens when you have practiced enough.

As far as groups, this is what I hold myself to on the range here at the house.

10 yards = 1" group
20 yards = 2" group
30 yards = 3" group
40 yards = 4" group

Do I hit these everyday? Heck no!! But it is what I strive for through practice before opening day.

I will tell you this, confidence goes along ways. If you are just having one of those days where your groups are open and you just plain suck, spend a few minutes concentrating on your form and if it still doesn't come together then hang your bow up for that day. I will not spend so much time trying to figure out why I am off on a certain day that I end up ruining my confidence for the days to come. Hope that kind of makes sense. Everyone is different, but I had some of the same questions you are asking when I started 10 years ago.

Make sure you practice with your broadheads. I can almost guarantee they will fly different than your field points.

I also practice holding my bow at full draw and on a target for various times. I will have my son time me up 45 seconds at full draw concentrating holding on the vitals of my deer target, then take the shot.

Last edited by MO Archer; 08-07-2010 at 10:13 AM.