HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Small Plot Help!
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 AM
doughboysigep
Nontypical Buck

I think all the advice is good. I planted a small foodplot several years ago. I did get a soil test, but in lieu of that I would bank on the fact that it probably needs some lime (unless you are in a lime rich soil area). If you aren't in a naturally high lime area I would put 2T/ac. to start (for small plots that isn't too much). I'd also put down a low/no N, med. P, med. K fertilizer (if no clover planting until next year you could use higher N to get the grain going). Definitely hit the areas with "round-up". You may want to plant the cereal grain (winter rye) and let that come in thick to help control weeds and plan on planting the actual perennial plot in the spring (deer will hammer the rye). You can mow it off early in the spring (deer should graze it then also) then go in with your plot seed (I am a fan of straight clover - all types of varieties - and get them at your local farm stores/co-ops - I haven't messed with the fancy-expensive mixes - $5/# is alot better than $25/# and does the same thing). You do need some decent sun to get a good stand. You can also plant the clover with the cereal grain - it should start to establish in the fall and the cereal cover will help protect it from winter kill. You will also want to keep an eye on the plot and control future weed with mowing and/or spraying. I am having weed issues on my plot now - looks like I'll have to spray - the mowing isn't getting it done. Just my 2 cents.