HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have plans to build a deer blind?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:26 AM
NEBRbruiser
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tight360
However, us carpenter types can produce a very nice building w/ some nice site lines!!! I don't care what my buds, or neighbors thinks how it looks, I'm trying to meld into the landscape. A box looks like a box, no matter what paint or camo pattern you adorn your den away from home in. Think about what you are trying to accomplish, Not to stick out like a sore thumb in your surroundings, hence the term camouflage. What I like to do is "break up" the site lines, right angles. Siding is huge! After my substrate, I cover w/ felt paper/ or my fave ice shield, then I tack/screw pine or oak branches as tight as I can get them to the substrate vertically. Now if you build on the ground, around the foundation, I "plant" ivy, or any type of vine indigenious to the area next to it, so it climbs and engulfs the structure in order to break up the lines and have to cut out the windows and dorr. Off the ground, I have planter boxes around the bottom and install same. It "must" look like a bush, or you are defeating your purpose. In Michigan we have grape vines, which I also use for my tree stand ladder, and stand. The more you have to trim for accessability, the better off you are. You are'nt supposed to be there!!!!! It's their backyard, not yours!!!!
Where I hunt as long as I leave the stand there all year around the deer are so used to they will walk right underneath. Guess deer act different in different places but i myself would not worry a bit about putting cover around it.