HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Nice Buck
Thread: Nice Buck
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:06 PM
JNM86WVU
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by PutnamHonigford
wow your area is just like mine. isnt it unbelievable what ppl will shoot..its crazy
Yea, I know.. Some of these people wouldn't believe the size of some of these deer if they'd let these little ones walk..

Originally Posted by vermont bowhunter
hes a nice main frame 8 with a sticker it looks like, but he looks realy young,,,just think what he would look like in 4 or 5 years when hes mature.i know central west part of wva is covered up with deer,,so you have to kill quite a few to keep the herd in check...i dont know about kentucky but wva has the deer no.s to kill 3 a year and still be covered up with em at least neer my mother in laws area..they have so many she cany even have flowers...they come right up to the porch and eat her mater plants
I'm not disputing the number of deer and the need for the control of them, but it's nothing to hear of around here to hear someone taking a spike, 4 point, and then a 5 point (Legally that is, not even talking about what some of these unethical people do around here).. Now that's your preference of what you take, not saying you shouldn't take what's legal (and/or what you paid for with your licence and extra tags), but when the same guy is also complaining about how small their racks are then I tend to think why are you taking the small ones if you want a big one.. There are more than enough does to take to fill the freezer, and really that's what is in abundance in this part of WV.. Plus if you lower the # of does in the herd and raise the buck-to-doe ratio that would help immensely with the ability of big, mature bucks to grow.. But this is just IMHO.. But just as PutnamHonigford said, I'd love to let some one these smaller, young 4, 6, and 8 pointers walk and grow into true monsters, but I know if I do, someone else will take them once they cross over to the next property or two..