HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Modified Remington 700ml @ the Farm
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 10:50 AM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

Default Remington Re-Shoot

When I got home yesterday and was cleaning the Rem - I decided that I would go ahead and adjust to Walker trigger assembly to get the 'CREEP' out. After getting the adjustment done the trigger pull was so much sweeter...

This morning I thought the natural thing to do was go out to the farm and re-shoot the gun.... Problem - it was 9:00 0'clock in the morning and the temp was already 84*. Probably should have stayed home but, headed out to the farm. By the time I got there the temp was up to 88*, but I convinced myself I could get it done - i was just checking trigger pull.

Loaded up the same load as yesterday, MMP light tan, 120 grains of BH and a Lehigh 40/200 + a Remington STS primer. Again set the target @ 50 yards and I should also point out the bolt face on this Remington has been modified to act like a real Remington bolt in that it has a bolt face and the firing pin has been turned down to .090.

Loaded the first round and everything went as expected. The trigger pull was a 100% better and smoother. Loaded the second round and touched it off and now I am convinced the trigger was the problem yesterday. When I loaded the 3rd round I noticed the barrel was really really hot - but I thought one more would be OK... The group was looking so good I could not really quit, but the barrel was really hot now - so I decided I would blow down through to help cool it faster + I walked out to the target and back figuring that was enough time for the barrel to cool. It wasn't it was still dang hot but being the person that I am I loaded and touched #4... How can you quit now??? Hot barrel and all loaded #5 - tought I was really hot so I could over-ride the temp of the barrel... #5 sucks ruined a perfectly good group.

I really think i was melting or softening the sabot so much that it failed me - especially with a 120 grain load of BH.

Ticked! I packed everything up and headed home - last thing I did was to check the temp 92* at the bench.

I am home and the air conditioning is on - 72* feels dang nice in here....

'The target'