HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pa hunters:part II
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 04:44 PM
gunchamp
Spike

I hunt in a very large area running from 865 up out of bellwood over to rt 36 off of buchhorn. I also hunt in the glendale area(prince gallitzin). Trust me when I tell you that I dont just walk into open woods and plop down. My family including myself have harvested many deer through the years. We spend alot of the spring and summer glassing feilds and walking deeper to try and find hidden hot spots. A lower section where we used to hunt went bad about 8 years ago and the ferns took over. The deer were gone. So we spent a couple of years scouting deeper and found deer everywhere. The deer moved to an area that had less pressure and better feed. We have had to do this a couple of times and had great success in doing this. We are not able to get results now. I am seeing feed everywhere now but not seeing the deer. I see turkys, bear, coyotes, grouse, and just about anything else you could find in this area. Its not jusy the areas I hunt, its all over. Friends that have private land with food plots are not seeing the deer. I take my daughter spotting and most of the time, do not see a thing. I just dont see how anyone can not come to the conclusion that PA in the central mountains and north have been overharvested. I know there are deer eveywhere in pitt and philly area. One of my brothers live there and there is not many hunters. I understand that things need to be kept in check for the habitats sake but not to the point of almost deer exstinction in some areas.