HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - what is the must have elk call when archery hunting?
Old 07-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rather_be_huntin
Sorry man I didn't mean to offend. I was really just trying to talk it out. Off the cuff you are 100% correct. I was just trying to dive a bit deeper into the subject but I sincerely didn't mean to make this a heated issue.
Trust me, I'm not heated and I appreciate your point of view. I just feel very strongly about the subject and really wanted to make how I felt very clear. I speak from experience only and I know how my elk hunting changed for the better once I started using diaphrams. I hunted for several years with Hoochie Mama's, Carlton Squeeze calls, and a host of others. I never called in chit. Now I hunt the same area and over the last 10 years blowing a diaphram, I have called in plenty of elk. My last 3 bulls were all killed within 15 yards. I have used a mouth call to stop my last 7 elk. It has stopped them on a dime every single time and allowed me to get a good shot off. Once you see a product work like that, over and over, it's hard to want to use anything else.

Last year we had some confusion and I ended up leaving my backpack on the ATV, that was very far from where I was hunting. I had an either sex tag. I had a cow a 50 yards and a little later a bull at 75 yards. I didn't have my mouth calls in and could not stop them for a good shot. I'm confident that if I had my call in my mouth instead of in my backpack, that day would have ended differently.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 07-12-2010 at 02:25 PM.