HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Smile

Originally Posted by Jimmy S
....and all you could kill is one single deer per year, would you take that doe or small deer ealy in the season? If yes, then I agree, you are truly a meat hunter. If you decide to wait because you see deer every day or two, then I'm not convinced.

...I hunt with guys that will tag the first legal deer they see because they simply want venison. They (not me) are truly meat hunters. I tip my hat to them!

If I'm wrong here - fire away!
Ok, I'll fire away...

With me at least and with that logic, it doesn't work.

I decide to wait and yes, I do see deer quite often. I'm a meat hunter for the most part. I don't need to shoot the first deer I see because one deer isn't going make a difference in my pocket book whether I get it or not. I also wait because I extend my hunting opportunities and it means I can be in the woods longer to witness whatever mother nature is up to that day. I mainly wait because I'm looking for a bigger doe or younger buck. It's the tenderness and quantity I'm after. I'm simply waiting for the deer I want and most often the first shooting opportunity is not the deer I want.

I do wait, but by what you said, I'm not a meat hunter for doing so, but I am.

Case in point... 2 years ago I spotted 3 bucks ghost out of no where right in front of me about 70 yards away. They all had racks, one of them very nice as well. I ended up shooting the smallest rack buck because of his medium body size, but to also leave the largest racked buck for my buddy at some later time.

I do recall his backstraps tasting exceptionally well that evening too.

iSnipe