HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - If you're really a "Meat Hunter"........
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Pygmy
Nontypical Buck

Why people hunt is a pretty complex subject...

Personally, I hunt for the enjoyment of the hunt, but the meat is more important to me than a trophy rack...My family has eaten 2-4 deer a year for about 40 years now and we would miss the venison...

I hunt somewhat selectively... A 1.5 to 2.5 year old buck or a mature doe has a lot more meat on it than a fawn...

I am fortunate to hunt in areas in NY and Pa where the deer population allows me numerous chances, so I can afford to pass up smaller animals hoping to shoot a bigger one...

As far as meat quality between a doe and an adult breeding buck, I have eaten enough big bucks over the years to know the difference..The meat from an adult buck is generally stronger than from a doe..Same goes for caribou, elk, and moose... I've had some pretty gamey bucks and bulls, but I've never eaten a doe I didn't like.. Young ( 1.5 year old) bucks are less likely to be strong..They are usually as good as a doe, although I have encountered a couple of strong ones over the years..