HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - We've all had it happen...
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Davoh
Fork Horn

Default We've all had it happen...

We've all had it happen... we released an arrow, or pulled the trigger, and get rudely awakened from the high of excitement by the pangs of disappointment...

here's my story...

several years ago, my dad let me hunt with his ,270 one morning since i was on a stand with honest 300-400 yd shot opportunities... a big tower blind on the top of a hill overlooking a big saddle back ridge full of small live oaks thickets and acorns...

about 30 minutes after daylight, a big cow-horned spike comes in... its last morning so i decide to take him if he starts to walk out before anything else comes in... weather blows in with some tough winds, gets REALLY dark... it was 70 when i got on the stand before dark, with winds out of the east... now winds were out of the north, and that wind was chilly... i was in a tshirt and jeans...

after an hour of this, watching this spike, i finally decide, ok, time to make it happen... about then, he turns his butt to me and starts to walk into the brush... at the last step before the brush, he puts his head up and looks to the left... in that half a heart beat moment, the wind died, so i clicked off the safety, put the cross hairs on the base of his ear, and squeezed... head exploded and down he went... weather was rough, so i climbed down, getting really chilly now from the wind on that high ridge...

I hiked down and to my dismay, the dear was gone... just a toothe, blood, and what I thought was brain matter on the ground where he fell...

the only funny part about this is that I'm stomping around in what became 45-50 degree weather(yes, 20+ drop in temp... texas weather, go fig).... oh and that i did find the yearling that had been standing 15 ft to the left of the spike... apparently the bullet took a hard left turn in the deers head, and gut shot the yearling... go fig...

feel free to share folks...