HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 270wsm
Thread: 270wsm
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2010, 09:21 AM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the Winchester soft-point bullets in 150 grain in my .270 Browning WSM.....aim for the heart or lung shot and you won't do any damage to the meat,I shot a 9-Point Buck last year and the exit hole wasn't very big at all.You also have to remember with the .270 WSM your shoooting a lot faster bullet and in my opinion your going to going to need a decent weight bullet to knock down a Deer and if You hunt in any thick area's with brush the bullet may deflect more with too light weight a bullet?I would go with the 130 grain bullets You mentioned,its a decent light weight bullet that will give it more speed and range yet heavy enough to do some serious damage to a Deer.The lowest grain bullet I would go with would be a 120 grain,the ideal bullet weight in my opinion would be 130-140 or 150 for Whitetails.

I know a few guys that shoot the 130 grain Ballistic-Tip bullets...to me that would seriously damge any meat if your shot was off by very much,to me the ballistic-tip bullets are more for Coyote/Varmit Hunting where its not going to matter where You hit them and saving meat isn't a concern.