HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone have high hopes for this years Pa season?
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

I know there are some nice mature buck in 4C but deer in general are few. I will say the Harrisburg Water Auth. has done amazing things with the 100's of acres they own through a stewardship program. Timbering responsibly and for habitat not solely profit, I can only dream the PAGC would do the same. In the future there will be more deer in that area and then the PAGC can use those numbers to take credit for what another agency has done. I hunt in Ohio and ever since going there it makes the Pa Deer Hunting experience pathetic. If I only hunted deer I wouldn't even bother buying a PA tag.
I do more work in terms of habitat than most of the hunters out there and it is of little help due to the PAGC reducing the deer herd too far in my area. I have shot buck in Pa over 120" but it isn't because of what the PAGC has done it is because I will go years without shooting a buck until I eventually find one that is worth shooting. I am not one of those guys who needs to fill his buck tag. If it isn't bigger than what I already have on the wall why kill it? I have no desire to fill my house with 6 point yearling racks. I am not going to mount it unless it beats what I have already taken and if I need meat I can go to WV or Ohio for doe.
It's funny or sad if you rather to see what some people consider MATURE. I know a guy who has to kill a buck just to say he killed a buck. And his logic is every deer he killed was mature because it wasn't possible for it to get any older. I am not saying you are like him Pats, just stating the mentality of many who have taken us to where we are today in most of PA. I wish you a great season and I truly hope you shoot a good 4 1/2 year old monster. Make sure we get to see the pics!