HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Face my treestand uphill or downhill???
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
Yes, the deer will absolutely be at eye level w/ your treestand if they are uphill from the tree youre sitting in, and yes, the distance they will be at eye level, will be determined by how steep the hill is. The deer coming downhill towards you, is just one scenario to prepare for, they could be traveling downhill, uphill, or along the side, at any given time. To me, setting up w/ the stand facing down hill, covers all the base's since if theyre coming from down hill, the tree will hide your silhouette, if they are traveling uphill, you will be well above their normal line of sight. As far a seeing the deer coming in advance, the only way to do that, is to constantly rotate your neck around like an owl to scan the woods in every direction.
I agree if only two options are considered I would choose downhill. A third option I would prefer is finding the path that numerous runs lead into and set up further down where I could find a hemlock or other tree to give me cover and with cameras you can get a good idea of what direction the deer are travelling and at what times? Then I would set up facing the direction most deer or the shooter buck I am after is usually coming from. My personal preference is setting up with a vantage point- meaning setting up on high ground looking down. you will get winded much faster being at the bottom of the hill whether your scent is travelling up or down with thermals or wind. The scenario in my opinion (with where they bed to where they travel is probably not what i am picturing in my head) seems to be one in which the odds of getting busted are more likely than not unless hunting with a gun.

Last edited by 4evrhtn; 06-22-2010 at 09:15 AM.