HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk hunt in Co?
Thread: Elk hunt in Co?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Colorado Luckydog
Nontypical Buck

I have been rifle hunting in October in Colorado for 14 years. One of the best things I can tell you is...it can be cold as the North Pole in the morning and at night and hotter than hell in the afternoon. One thing that really made my hunting more comfortable was to lose the long johns. If you wear them in the morning you are nice and cozy but in the afternoon you can be just miserable. I'm not sure why but I hate getting butt naked in the woods to take them off. (maybe it was from watching the movie Deliverance) LMAO. I always dress in layers in a fashion where the outer layer can be taken off easily but can be put back on for an evening hunt. You should also be prepared for any weather including deep snow and rain.

Even though the rut will be over the bulls will still come to the call but your guide will know all about that.

A really good pair of gators are great. Pick a pair of gators that the material will be quite. I use just regular hiking boots weather permitting. Hiking boots and gators make the hiking not nearly as tiresome as a heavy pair of hunting boots.

These are just a couple of things that I can think of now. If I think of some more I'll post them up. I'm sure a lot of guys will chime in with some great advice. Good luck on your hunt. You have a long time to plan and look forward to it.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 06-17-2010 at 09:52 AM.