HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - red dot or iron sights 4 home protection
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 02:49 PM
Chuck R.
Spike

Originally Posted by RemyFan
thats true...but then again what if its dark wouldnt a red dot b more conveinient?
I have Tritium Ghost Ring nightsights on my Benelli M1S90 tactical that I keep for HD. To be honest, a simple bead is more than adequate for HD and a tactical light makes the tritium sights unnecessary as they are silhouetted in the light.

I like weapon mounted lights, especially on a long-gun. At HD distances, the pattern will be pretty much centered in the light cone.

I believe that in a HD scenario, target ID is paramount. There are countless stories of homeowner X shooting family member Y by mistake. Mounted lights allow for a free hand for opening doors, using a phone etc. Also there’s no chance of leaving the light behind when you need it. It’s also much easier to engage a target with a mounted light.

Some people don’t like mounted lights, one thing to remember, just because it’s there doesn’t mean you have to use it. This really is training issue and a low-light class will go a long way to make someone a believer in tactical lights either handheld or mounted.

Chuck