HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Natural Cover Scents
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Whitetailmadness
Spike

I typically do not use any cover scent at all and have no problem getting deer within range beit with a bow or gun. I do rely heavily on Tinks 69 during the rut as an attractant. I almost hunt exclusively from ground blinds (except with a bow) constructed out of natural timbers and such an I can honestly say I routinely have deer pass by me at ranges as little as 10 yards and never be the wiser to my being there. It's not that I dont think cover scents help, it's simply Ive never felt the need to use them if I have deer that close and not spook. The areas I hunt are densely wooded and hilly so you'll rarely have a shot over 70 yards. I have found while we camp for 1-2 weeks during the season I'll wear some of my hunting clothes around the camp fire which tend to get that fire smoke smell and my buddies are pretty amazed that I can hunt in those and be successful. Why? Well,there are houses here and there in the areas I hunt and most people are burning wood stoves. The deer in those areas are used to the smell so why would one alert if it smelled something it smells all winter in those areas?