HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to scout the Florida swamps
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Chuck7
Dominant Buck

Default How to scout the Florida swamps

Folks,
This thread is for all of us to share techniques that have worked for us..not what you heard..but what has personallyworked for you...after everyone has shared we should have some new strategies to try. Don't share about what works in other states or what has worked for your friend...but what has worked in FLORIDA for YOU..

#1..Get a subcription to Woods and Water magazine..they have alot of stories from local WMA and they slip up sometimes and share some very important info...including locations..

#2. Study Goggle eart..look for funnels or out of the way bayheads that most hunters never even knew they were there..Those bayheads way out there often have trails on the outside in which deer can be harvested with a long range rifle..youget them crossing to other bayheads/ cypress domes.

#3. I will walk along bayheads looking inside for water and oaks...most are too thick on the outside...get in there and look for worn black trails..most of the time these trails are about 12 inches wide with no tracks..yet they are traveled daily by deer..follow the trails and you should find rubs...fresh and old.
I usally hunt these..especially if I'm at a place where I can see the outside over looking a field and a water hole close..This situation has always produced deer.

#4 Be ready on that first hunt..99% of the time you will see your hog or deer on the first hunt..after that..the odds lessin greatly.

#5. Be a gentleman when you meet other hunters..if your nice..most will be glad to show you something..I've had a few show me their stands and tell me I could use them...on the contrary..don't be a talker when your waiting for the gate to open..play dumb..likes its one of your first outings..some hunters scout other hunters..

#6. I have some not so far away stands but I must me honest..most of the BIG deer I've seen have been very deep..bring a compass..very simple to use..and hid out on one of the many trails..DEER AND HOGS love live oaks...the big bushy oak trees with the smallest leaves..they hang low and they shouild always grab your attention..especially when surrounded by palmettoes and a water hole.

#7 They love to sun on those brown grassy hills by the long leaf pines..

#8 They love those bushes that are about 3 1/2 feet tall with the purple berries..I've seen deer cross through them in broad day light..youonly see their ears.

#9.90 % of your deer..you won't see in the bayheads..the ground is moist..they can walk right up to you so don't just rely on your ears..Scan your surroundings often..I generally read my Bible and look up every3 verses to digest what I've read and scan..270 degrees..for a flicker of an ear or a black siluette slithering through the brush without a sound.

10. When making shooting windows..make them all around..the game will come where you least expected.happens every year.

11. During the week ..I hunt my best spots..spots close to the road...during the weekend..I go deep to get away from the crowds..

12...hike down dark shady hammocks..the spots beside the river ...that have thick spots near big water oaks for big bucks to bed..probably your secret turkey spot..same terrain. [-;

Summary..I walk around good sized bayheads...;look for big oaks and worn black trails..old and new rubs...

and take long hikes looking for live oaks mixed with palmettoes a water hole and place to sun..

check the thick cabage palm areas in the hammocks..by the river..