HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What would you do?
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 01:50 PM
mcraddock
Typical Buck

Default What would you do?

This is a hypothectical hunting situation that has similarities to what I, and some other hunters, have encountered through the years. I would just like to hear some of your opinions.

It's early October and you are deer hunting on private land with a compound bow. You know this area well and have hunted this stand before. You are hunting from a 16ft treestand on a hardwood creek bottom that has many crossings. It is getting late in the evening when you spot a solitary doe crossing the creek to the opposite side. You take a shot at about 35 yards and hear a solid "Thwack". The doe runs off and you do not see your arrow. You are only somewhat confident about your shot and think it may have been a little too far forward. Shoulder?

You get down at dark and find the spot at which you shot the doe. You find a decent blood trail and follow it for about 75 yards, at which the blood trail has all but disappeared. You look around and realize that the doe has entered a really thick bedding area which you know is their sanctuary. It's late and there is rain in the forecast for the night.

What do you do?

It's early in the season, do you to push on and bust up the bedding area?

Are all cards down when there could be a deer down?

Do you cut your losses and chalk it up to a lesson learned?

Do you just wait until the next day?

The situation is what is. Please base your opinion off JUST the information I have provided.