HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Like your conservation laws?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 05:00 AM
Father Forkhorn
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spudrow
I am from Missouri and I think our consevation department does a great job for us hunters and fishermen/women...
Do you like the laws in your state?

Spudrow from Mo
Missouri, which I can literally see from my place in Kansas, does indeed seem to do well.

As for Kansas, I'm well-pleased. We have great hunting and fishing. Deer, turkeys, pheasants, and quail are well-known and we have excellent rabbit and squirrel hunting that gets overshadowed (rabbits are year round and squirrels open June 1st and go through February). Pronghorns are out in the west, though you have to draw a tag.

The biggest negative is lack of public land, but they do a good job of arranging lease agreements with landowners to allow walk-in access to hunters and fishermen.

They also have fisheries assistance program to help local communities to stock their water supplies, ponds in city parks, etc. I understand it recently won an award. You're out of luck if your idea of fishing is wading in a trout stream. But if you enjoy the warmwater species, there's plenty of water that's well-manged and receives low pressure.