HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What small caliber for a lady?
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 04:04 PM
HEAD0001
Nontypical Buck

My girl friend just loves to hunt. But she does not care to hunt in a field. She only hunts in the woods. She says that she just enjoys everything that is going on in the woods. She does not even care if she shoots a buck or a doe. She just want to get a deer. It makes her think she is the "provider". So much for that.

I have an Encore with a thumb hole stock, and she really likes this rifle. It is short and fast handling for her. I had a 30 Carbine barrel made for the rifle. I went with a 24" barrel for a little more velocity. Sierra makes a 130 grain bullet that is designed for the 30-30 single shot rifle. I load this bullet. However for most of her ammo I load a cast bullet. With a cast bullet she can shoot all day long for next to nothing.

She really likes this rig. And it is a very effective cartridge on game in the woods. And trust me you do not want to be in the woods if she wants to shoot. She is deadly with this rifle.

She has shot alot of my other rifles. However most of them do not "fit" her very well. However she does shoot my dad's old Model 7 in 7-08 pretty well. I think if I bought her a new bolt rifle, I would look at one of the "youth" rifles. They would fit her better. However there is no need for another rifle, she likes her Encore. Tom.