HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2-4,D herbicide mixing question
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 06:16 PM
haystack
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
Common burdock, curly dock, milk weed and more ragweed than I have ever seen before. The ragweed choked out my soybean and stunted the growth of my corn last year resulting in minimal yield in both. I will use the detergent as a surfactant as described and stick to the mixing directions on the 2,4-D label and spray both areas to be planted. I have nothing to lose as far as the soybean yield in comparison to last year, I will just wait 2 weeks and plant them deeper after spraying. Thanks Again Guys! This is the 3rd or 4th time you helped me out.

You've definitely got a problem. Honestly even 2,4 D mixed with glyphosate will not kill the Milk Weed, Curly Dock or the Common Burdock. It will suppress it, it will burn it down to the ground but it won't kill it. Good news is the 2,4 D/gly mix will smoke the Ragweed. When new ragweed seedlings emerge later on, 2 qts of gly to the acre before the ragweed reaches 8 inches in height should put the hurt on it, but I've seen ragweed linger for weeks after the application, not quite dead, but not going anywhere either.

The best way that I know to kill and rid a field of tough perennial weeds such as milk weed, dock and others, is to use a mold board plow. That's not always practical but it's one of the few things that will work. Another possible method is to spot treat each plant with a hot dose of Tordon. There could options I'm not aware of also.

Good luck!! and let us know how it's going!