HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Change for the Better
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 AM
DougE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sproulman
douge , respectfully I KNOW OF NO SGL LAND IN PA THAT HAS LOTS OF DEER.actually worst place to hunt is on SGL land.
I know of several state game lands in 2G that have lot's of deer.SGL 44 in elk county has good deer populations.SGL 93 has alot of deer.I routinely see 12-15 just walking or riding my horses on the main game lands roads during the morning.I don't hunt deer on it but I do hunt turkeys and small game.I can't remember the last time I saw less than 10 deer or so in just a few hours.I also have several friends that hunt in religeously.They all routinely see well over 20-30 deer on days when there's pressure.SGL 77 also has alot of deer.I drive through it every day on my way to work and rarely don't see deer.I hunted it the first day of spring gobler season and jumped two different groups of deer totaling at least 10 deer and I had to be back to my truck by 7:30am.I know a guy that moved down from Ontario last fall.He hunted that same game lands on the first saturday and last saturday.Without ever stepping foot in there before,he saw over 40 deer in two days and killed a 15" 8 point.I haven't hunted for deer on the state game lands in 2G for several years with a rifle because I kill a buck every year with a bow and it's been at least 4 years since I got a 2G doe tag.If I stilll had a tag come the first day of rifle season,I'd be hunting on sgl and I'd expect a reasonable chance for success.I only get a chance to hunt dmap properties during rifle season so I hunt strictly state forests and on timber company land,open to the public.Typically these areas have less deer because the habitat is much worse.regardless,I have no problems finding enough deer to fill all of my tags and I do it by hunting only the first day and on saturdays.Finding and killing deer on public land in 2G is still easy.