HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - handgun shooting...
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default handgun shooting...

so ive been doing somewhat serious handgun shooting as of late...alot more than usual...i cant figure things out...at 3 and 7 or so yards my shots are great...even 1 handed shooting out at 7yds...

i practice at those ranges pretty regular...anytime im at a range or place i can shoot i'll shoot out to 21ft as if your in a gun fight its likely to be within 21 feet...

15-25yds my shots are LOW...real low...and all over the place when im standing, drawing and shooting...

i found a place i can move and shoot and also shoot at night if my heart desires....i have nite sites so i figured why not try it right???

so i did some moving and shooting and multiple targets and shot in VERY low light..i could see my sights better than the target...

to my surprise, even on the move out to 25yds and at night out to 15yds, my shots were all where they should have been..

im scratching my head...i can move and shoot good out to 25yds but put me standing at 15-25 and my shots are low...

im thinking its over thinking or something...i had some VERY trained and expirienced handgunners and range masters watch me and they all said the same thing...good grip, good stance, good natural shooting...they didnt have much to say on why my shots shouldnt be where im sending them...

if i stand there and take a real long time at 25yds i can draw a smiley face...if i draw and shoot quick at 25yds i can make headshots...but standing, drawing and shooting a few shots somewhat quick, like id assumingly do if i was in a shooting situation, they all fall low...

thoughts???

seems im best under pressure or naturally point shooting and such...i need to fine tune the "target shooting" i guess?

i am VERY pleased with my shooting as i know if im ever in a gun fight, i like my shooting very much and am confident..

maybe just more training at 15-25yds? i mostly train out to 7-10yds or so and its normally draw and get off a double tap or 3 rds quick and make em count...

im just stumped as to why i can shoot pretty dang well out to 7yds and can move and shoot or shoot in about pitch darkness but cant stand there and shoot well.....

seems i got the hard part down well but skipped the easier part of the process..