HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - PA spring gobbler
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 AM
DougE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
You nailed it. The "shot" that ends a spring turkey hunt is VERY anticlimatic. In fact, I've sat there a few times after working one in, and reflected and wished that somehow it wasn't over yet, that he was still gobbling, playing hard to get, and I was still working him in. Last Saturday was a good example of that. It was fast and furious, the bird came in quickly and it was all over so fast. I was elated that my buddy had just bagged his first tom, but I wished somewhow, it hadn't ended quite so quickly. It's all about the thrill of the chase...perhaps more so with gobblers than anything else I hunt.
That's how I feel about it.I eat the one's I kill but I certainly don't crave spring gobbler.The shot itself is never all that exciting either.It's calling them in and hearing them gobbler that keeps me at it and I really can't explain why.I could care less if I ever kill another one.I'd rather watch someone else pull the trigger at this point,which is probably why I've never bothered to get a second tag.