HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paying for a hunt
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

I have made a few "pay hunts". All fair chase. I did so because it was the only way that I knew of that I could easily arrange to hunt other parts of the country. And so far the "fees" have been both reasonable and have produced a fun time. I'll continue to pay for the opportunity ... every now and then. When you think about it, not much different than paying a hunting club dues fee. Down this way there are precious few public areas open to hunting and those that are are over hunted (in my opinion). Last time I hunted one of these areas, as soon as I could see after day break it looked like I was hunting in a pumpkin patch there was so much hunter orange out there.

Slob hunters have more or less ruined the "ask permission" opportunities that were once very common here in Alabama. I have asked probably 20 folks over the last 3-4 years and have 2 that will allow me to hunt their place. Both very small areas, with low quantities of any sort of game. So, leasing up large tracts of land, usually as a group to help spread the expenses is about the only way to assure a good chance to have a fun and successful season.