HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paying for a hunt
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:42 PM
spudrow
Typical Buck

I am ok with leased property, trespass fees, as long as they're reasonable, canned hunts, (although not for me), I did try one with a friend, but didn't like it. I'm even ok with hiring a guide, (again, not for me). With all the public land out there I just don't understand why!!! Which was my original question.

I guess getting an animal isn't all that important to me. It's the hunt and enjoying a great time with friends and relatives.

In all of our draws for western hunts we all draw or none of us draw. I have always believed you only get out of something what you put into it. The more you work at something the more the rewards. Now, good research must be done to insure success. This is what I've always done.
As for cost. It costs a lot less for a DIY versus hiring an outfitter. Usually 1000's less. I don't know where you got your info on success rates, but mine are great. I have only been skunked twice.
Having a friend tell you where to go to get game or swapping hunts is a far cry from paying a guide. You have to be smart about this because hunting is becoming a high priced sport. Most of the younger hunters I know can't afford a trip out west with an outfitter but can do a DIY hunt.
I have been hunting for almost 50 years, it's easy to find someone to hunt with.
Are you an outfitter or guide by chance?

Thanks for your imput.

Spudrow from MO

Last edited by spudrow; 05-10-2010 at 01:44 PM.