HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Paying for a hunt
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:24 AM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

How do you feel about leasing land to hunt then? haha...

Or paying trespass fees?

I've done both, DIY, outfitted hunts, bot have their place in hunting IMO.

Some guys I'm sure don't have many buddies to tag along with them on hunts, either they're too busy, or too poor always, or just can't be talked into western hunts etc...

So paying an outfitter, who has the camping gear, cooking, etc... may be the easiest option, IMO you really aren't paying an outfitter to shoot an animal for you, or take you out to the woods point to an elk and say shoot! Also paying someone to cook, take care of the horses saves you alot of time and work so you can focus on your hunt. Also when living out of state a week long hunt may be all you hunt in a year, vs. people who live in state and get out every weekend for 3 months...just alot of factors go into it.

Also let's say you're 65 or older, not in great shape, or drew a once in a lifetime type tag, are you just going to wing it? especially if all you can swing is 7 days to pursue that animal?

I know some guys who wouldn't consider a DIY hunt, probably just out of not having done it before and simply personal comfort, they want to pay a guide/outfitter, go out west, hunt, shoot an animal.

That too, a lot of guys don't want to just wing it and say non-resident non guided success odds are 7%, vs. 75% with a guide/outfitter, either way you're spending money, at a bare minimum on food, gas, add a motel, etc...

Trading a hunt, you could argue borders on paying for a hunt, also having a friend guide you out of state, say a friend lives in a state and guides you, amounts to hiring a guide etc..., not everyone has friends in other states or who are so generous.

I would argue though that little probably amounts to the feeling of being successful on your own DIY hunt on public land and taking a trophy animal.

PS- many easterners may only go out west, ie on that classic western elk hunt once in their lives, many guys aren't going out west annually or multiple times annually, as well some of these premium limited entry type tags take 10+ years to draw, and again even if you have friends who love hunting, how many are willing to drive cross country simply to "help" you hunt when they don't have a tag.