HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Get to the spot before light? or when it starts getting light?
Old 05-07-2010, 06:48 PM
GTOHunter
Nontypical Buck

I alway like getting in my stand 30 minutes to an hour preferably before daylight,most Hunters are walking in late and always scare the Deer towards us where we hunt.I had a Deer walk past behind my stand last year (Nov. 2009) just before daylight,I used my grunt call and lightly rattled the horns and a few minutes later a young 4-Point Buck walked in a sniffed the Tink's scent I had hanging by my stand by then it was easier to see that is was a small Buck and I waited for a nicer Buck to show up about 45 minutes later in good light that I shot!To me it is a rush to be in the stand early and well before daylight then to have Deer moving around by me that don't know I'm even there and a lot of times they will circle around several times during the morning and sometimes I use a drag-line with Doe in Estrous scent or even use another one with dominant Buck Urine and drag them both several hundred yards to my stand then walk past my stand and hang them on a tree branch to lure Deer in that cross my trail on the way to my stand.

I know a few Hunters that get up later in the mornings,eat breakfast and start out later and seem to get a nice Buck each year...I guess they do like Fastetti and instead of scaring the Deer away early in the morning walking to their stands in the dark they slip in later and catch them traveling to their Bedding area or feeding area and still manage to see some nice Bucks!