HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hunt Test/ Field Trials VS. Real Hunting?
Old 05-06-2010, 01:24 PM
4evrhtn
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mustad
I have never run an AKC hunt test as my breed of choice (Pudelpointer) is not recognized by the AKC. However, I have gunned at a number of AKC & CKC events. I wouldn't say NAVHDA is stricter than AKC Hunt tests. I would say NAVHDA is more consistent.
Maybe stricter wasn't the best word.... To acheive the equivalent of a Master Level for NAVHDA the dog is required to be more "versatile" and must perform more requirements- retreiving is more demanding and working in water for example.

One of the problems, in my opinion, with the AKC Hunt tests is that there is only one judge. Also, once somebody becomes a judge they will always be a judge. In a NAVHDA test, and JGHV for that matter; there are three judges. A judge must run at least one dog in a test every three years and attend a judges workshop at least once every three years. This combined with the fact that there are three judges results in a very consistent application of the rules no matter where you run your dog. In AKC, or even CKC, you are somewhat dependent on the knowledge of the single judge that is evaluating your dog, which creates inconsistencies. I think the standard that is being evaluated against is pretty consistent though. Just mho...
AKC Hunt tests are judged by 2 judges and the score is averaged. The dog must receive a 5 or better in all categories in order to pass. If the Dog receives a 10 in Hunting, Bird Finding, Trainability, Pointing and Honoring and then receives a 4 in retreiving the dog fails. Also 2 dogs are run in each brace in order to prove honoring and steadiness to shot and retrieve by the other dog.
I know anyone who passes a dog through Masters can judge Jr.,Sr. or Master. In other words they can judge up to the level that they themselves have had a dog complete successfully. They must apprentice under another judge and take classes as well. I am not sure about renewal requirements.
I do agree some judges have their favorite breeds and some may be lenient when they shouldn't be for the wrong reasons. Once gunner is at his Master I will be doing the NAVHDA testing because it is more demanding in terms of what the dog must do in order to acheive their utility award