HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2010 Spring Contest Braggin Board = Post story & Pictures
Old 05-03-2010, 01:50 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Killed my 3rd Texas bird, 6th overall, Saturday evening. I just had to go out one more time. I had a couple Texas tags left, so I drove to Decatur, TX. to hunt the LBJ Grasslands one more time. I roosted this bird Friday night, but he was on private land. Saturday morning he was gobbling like crazy on roost. When he flew down, he gobbled off and on all morning, but never left the private land. I sat there and watched him strut and gobble in a pasture for almost an hour before he followed his hens out of the pasture. I tried my best to call him over to the public land, but the hens wouldn't let him come. It was time to strategize for the afternoon hunt. I knew where he was roosting, so my plan was to intercept him on his way to roost. I figured he was going to come back and walk the pasture to his roost. There was a small section of the pasture that was on the government land. I would have to get him really interested in order for him to come my way, especially if he was with hens. I got set up about 5:00 pm, about 300 yards from where he was roosting on the private land. I was there for about 20 minutes when I heard him gobble several hundred yards to my right. He would gobble about every 4 to 5 minutes for the next hour or so. Finally his gobbles getting closer and closer. At about 6:30, I saw a hen come in the pasture. Then I saw him. Two more hens followed. I knew it was now going to be next to impossible to get this bird to pay me a visit. I sat there and watched him strut and gobble for 10 minutes while his harem was taking a dust bath. When the hens finished bathing, they started walking towards the middle of the pasture. I gave a few soft purrs followed by a couple of clucks. this made them just interested enough to turn and slowly come my way. I thought to myself, this just may work. The hens kept slowly coming my way, followed by the gobbler. Now I'm thinking, this is going to happen. This was about the time my heart starts pounding. The hens finally made it 20 yards in front of me after watching them and the gobbler for 45 minutes. The gobbler, still gobbling and strutting, took his sweet time, but finally gave me a shot at about 35 yards. It was awesome watching this bird strut and gobble for 45 minutes from the first time i saw him until the time I sent a load of Rem. HD's his way. What a great way to end my season. I already miss turkey season. He weighed 18 lbs. 7 oz., had a 9.5 inch beard, and 3/4" spurs. A very nice 2 year old. I have to say, this has been one great season that ended with a great hunt.
Attached Images