HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - East Texas Hog Hunting
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 10:03 PM
retrieverman
Nontypical Buck

Default East Texas Hog Hunting

Here is a hunt and write up I did a couple of weeks ago.

Annie and I had to take a ride to my parent's house this evening, and we made a little stalk through our bottom on the way just hoping that we might accidentally run into a hog.

I parked the 4 wheeler about a quarter of a mile away from my bottom food plot where I still have a game camera, and we walked in slow and easy trying to listen for any activity. As I got near the food plot, I heard what sounded like something rustling in the creek which is beside the plot, and I sat Annie down and made my way toward the bank. It took me about 10 minutes to cover maybe 20 yards as I was only able to take a step when I heard the rustling. As it was getting pretty dark in the woods, I finally made my way to the edge of the bank and was able to get my first glimpse of the hog which turned out to be a big black boar that will weigh around 200-250 pounds. The only shot that I have is at the body behind the shoulder shield, and I decide it is now or never.

My RAZ sights on my 9.3x62 Tracker barrel serve me well as there is still enough light to make them easily visible, and I sight in on the middle of the boars rib cage and squeeze the trigger. He takes off like a rocket up the creek and out of sight. Annie and I follow the creek for about 50 yards, and it starts getting to dark to see if I might be about to step on a snake. I make the decision to just leave him until tomorrow and let Annie do her thing.

Part II

My neighbor asked to go with me to track the hog, so we headed to the bottom about 2 hours ago. When we got to the spot where I shot the hog, there was no sign of blood or hair, but Annie acted like she smelled something and took off on the track. It is so thick in this part of our bottom that I couldn't keep up with her, but I tried to stay close enough to hear her. My neighbor stayed on the food plot side of the creek, and I waded across to search the opposite side. We went about a hundred yards and was about to quit when I saw Annie in the creek on a gravel bar. She reared up on the opposite bank and sniffed the air. I have tracked with her enough to know she had winded something. I was making my way toward her when she climbed the bank and cautiously approached what I would have thought was an old rotten log, but it turned out to be my boar.

My neighbor and I waded over to get to Annie and the hog, and we were both shocked by his size. I am not great at judging weights, but my neighbor estimated him to be well over 300 pounds. This boar had the best set of tusks of any that I have killed.

I killed this hog using my 9.3x62 Tracker barrel loaded with 285 gr PRVI bullets, 55 grs Varget, CCI 250 primer in Lapua brass. This is my first kill with the PRVI bullets, and even with a marginal shot, they sure did the job.

Here is a photo of Annie and I with the boar, but my neighbor was shaky and couldn't get a photo that wasn't blurry.