HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - vanes or feathers
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Jason N
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: vanes or feathers

Well, I' ve used both about the same number of years each, so here' s my opinion....

Feathers:
PROS
lighter
faster correction
forgiving(on the release, don' t tear up when practicing)
prettier than vanes
loud, with a helical anyway...I' ve heard they are very quiet when straight fletched
CONS
just plain junk if soaked(notice I said soaked, not damp, moist, a little wet)
once ruffled up they seldom com back to low profile

Vanes:
PROS
not sensitive to moisture at any level
very quiet
usually brighter and easier to see after a hit

CONS
not forgiving on the rest or when stacking arrows
heavier/slower....like metioned, not even worth debate at hunting speeds/distances

With all that said, I' ve killed deer with both steering my arrow.....they all died just the same. I' ve passed through deer with both and had deer tear out there and I' ve had others stand around or feed until they fall over(I' ve got your averages for you Art!) with both.....no scientific studies though! I practice with feathers because I like to shoot groups and with vanes I' m constantly replacing them....feathers take much more abuse. I' ve witnessed first hand the effects of soaked feathers vs. dry....soaked feathers might as well not shoot at all. I tune everything with my hunting sticks....only differnce between them and practice sticks is the fletching. I shoot my practice sticks all the time.....they still tune the same in my findings. There' s my findings, take them for what they are....MY findings. Good luck!