HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - while im at it...
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

thanx for the info Frank!! i appreciate it!

its amazing what the wind does to them little bullets...even at 200yds and a decent crosswind...

for now, that caliber is fine though...ive never shot a competition or any of the shoots yet...and groundhogs dont like to come out n play when its windy..if/when i jump into the matches, i know enough to limit myself to calmer days just due to the caliber..

but, to learn the ropes on, i think the 22-250 will get me to where im goin..when i "grow out of it" i'll have no problem droppin a couple hundred more into a good barrel...

reality is for me, here, my groundhog shooting is limited to 350-400yds due to terrain...cant get any farther without going a REAL far leap farther...but, i got alot of "mastering" that needs done at those ranges before im ready to step it up...

also need to find ATLEAST a 300yd range..ideally id like to finda 500yd range..even if i gotta drive a ways and pay a range fee i know i need to get it done on paper...

hard being i have traveled out of state to work the past 3 summers..(heading to NC sunday...thats why i wont be doing this till winter...) but, once this phase of the project is done and i get time to work up loads next spring, i'll likely take it with me..

only problem will be having enough loads..i was going to go with high end brass just for consistency...but at like 1$ a case theres no way im buying 500 or so to take with me next summer lol...could buy a bulk bag of winchester and weight sort it i suppose...we'll see...just hard to move all the reloading gear and find a place to setup shop when im away...