HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - while im at it...
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 05:59 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

Default while im at it...

so while the rifle (m700 SPS varmint 22-250 26" heavy barrel) is undergoing the trigger job (either custom work on the m700 trigger or a Jewel) and new stock....

is there anything else that y'all think need to be done to a m700?? looking for accuracy and stability and consistency...when a shot is outside of the group, i wanna kick myself and not question anything else..

i know good handloads are a huge part in that as well...

but im looking to get the rifle in shape..i see firing pins, firing pin springs, different action work, etc etc...just dont know if any help much or what not...

so, if y'all were me, and starting a custom build off a m700 action and starting with the stock and trigger job, what else would you do??

keep in mind a new barrel is down the road..probably a good few years down the road...

right now, the caliber isnt really holding me back...so i'll stick with it just because i can...by the time the caliber starts holding me back, it'll be time to upgrade the barrel and chamber and move upto a bigger caliber...

so...thoughts? ideas?? might seem like an odd approach at a custom "long range" rig...but, money doesnt fall from the sky and thats why i chose this route...kind of a build as i go...but all the while, even out of the box, i have a very shootable rifle...as i gain expirience as a shooter and become better, and as time and money come around, i upgrade and have work done...

like i said before, this rifle will always be a long, heavy barreled heavy rig...

so, anything else that should be done this go around?