HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - mock scrapes in the summer
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 05:35 AM
pigiron
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by davidmil
If you know where he's staying and moving...

..and there lies the problem Dave.

I guess I can throw up a camera without the scrapes or any type of scent to see if he's traveling that vein. It's just such a hard piece of woods to hunt. Any good run will ultimately lead to a bait pile...that's a fact. So I would never set up anywhere near these runs because that means nitetime movement in my book. The places that are out of range of piles and hunters are solid swamp and marsh, and very noisy to walk through. I guess I figured if I got in an area that looked like it had some buck sign from previous years and made a mock scrape, old mossy horn might just come to investigate.

I don't really know if he's there though, and I 100% agree not to disturb the area. I just want to see what this guy does in the daylight. Will he even come to a scrape in the daylight? I have a feeling any mature buck in this piece is curled up under a cedar or a birch all day just listening to his surroundings.

Your voice of reason confirms what I already know...it's just that this place drives me insane.

Last edited by pigiron; 04-26-2010 at 07:42 AM.