HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolves and elk
Thread: Wolves and elk
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 AM
cataraft
Spike

Originally Posted by homers brother
As the cats became more common, their intrinsic and aesthetic value here decreased. So now also goes the wolf. When you see them digging in the same garbage cans the coyotes did, our societal opinion of them will be different.
This would be great if it were true, but I for one have not seen that trend among anyone other than biologists who have seen the impacts on the ecosystems where predators have overpopulated. I know that hunting seasons have been created for bears in states where it was illegal to hunt them for quite some time but also the sentiment from the public and the red tape that accompanied the hunts have not indicated an openness to it on a social or political level or a realistic view of the animals themselves. What I have seen is that the belief that man is unnatural and does not belong in nature has become our basic phycology when we think of nature. Man does not belong in nature is what we have been conditioned to think. Somehow cats, bears and wolves are entitled to kill but man is not, nor is it natural for him to do so. More and more the sentiment is that predators are natural and man is not, they indicate a healthy ecosystem, belong there, and should have the priority when it comes to wildlife management.
Furthermore when they come in contact with people, it is somehow our fault for their deprivement. Whoever's garbage cans those are is responsible for the plight of that coyote. When a person is attacked by a predator, it is somehow their fault. When a rancher loses livestock, it is his/her fault for encroaching into what should have been a perfect world were wolves are #1. When a coyote shows up in central park, man is to blame for that coyote's plight in life and the destruction of it's natural habitat. We are at fault for moving into their habitat and have no legitimate claim to be there or to even exist. The environmentalist's hatred of man and himself has grown so deep in American phycology that even hunters themselves believe that the problem in predator conflicts is human beings and not simply an ever present natural process.