HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lighted Nock Questions
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:43 AM
SwampCollie
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Well if you want to limit yourself to 30 yards, cool! I have no problem tagging a buck out to 50 yards and more. I hit a buck last year 45 yards away and knocked his feet out from under him, he fell like a rock. but then again, I'm shooting heavy FOC and it's nothing for me to shoot 600 plus grains... I'd rather have my broad head pull my arrow than my arrow push my broad head. I'm not a newbie, I've been doing this over 40 years. I just don't like gimmicks, see too many guys waste money on stuff that does not make them a better archers.
Just my two cents worth.
So many guys watch hunting shows using stuff that most people don't need, but if the vendors are paying to be sponsors, they will use it.

Keep in mind, you are in the 95th (maybe higher) percentile of archers/bowhunters Rev. Most of the rest of us have no business flinging sticks at 50 yard whitetails. Bob Foulkrod (who is certainly in the 95th or better percentile also) made that point a few years ago with his quiver of misfit arrows... it doesn't take but so much to get the job done well inside 30 yards.... and distance is the difference between an archer and a bowhunter after all.

Like I wrote before.... its all about your specific situation. There isn't a single place I bowhunt that offers me more than a 30 yard shot... and even then... that would be if the deer was standing in exactly the right spot.

When it comes to seeing/finding your arrow... you ought to know by now its critical to success in game recovery. Not every shot is perfect... it happens. But if you know what you've got (becaues you saw your arrow impact back or high) and if you can find your arrow (start of your blood trail and a big clue as to the quality of your arrow placement) then you have a lot of valuable information regarding how much time and care you need to take on your follow up. Of course, I'm preaching to a preacher here, forgive me; but thats where I'm going with this. Personally... white blazers and white nocks with a 1/2" wrap of reflective tape between the two are all my 20/15 blue eyes need to track and find my arrow after the shot.