HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolves and elk
Thread: Wolves and elk
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2010, 09:18 AM
cataraft
Spike

It was my understanding at the time of reintroduction that they were being reintroduced so that they could be managed. If left on the endangered species list and allowed their ongoing expansion southward wildlife officials would have their hands tied. The whole point of bringing them back was to be able to control what was already happening. So much for that.........
They are here in Oregon now. Despite being trapped and relocated and road killed, along with numerous sightings our state has tried to deny their presence for years. And that is the real problem as far as I'm concerned. As a hunter I can tolerate wolves, but to me they are not a game animal and do not deserve special protections as a game animal nor should their presence be hidden or covered up. Solid wolf managment would only stipulate qutoas in my oppinion. If Idaho had a goal of 300 wolves, they should have started removing animals when that goal was acheived. Now we have the problem too and it comes at a time where our elk and deer herds are already in a substantial decline due to predation from cats, bears and habitat loss. A wolf tag shouldn't cost more than the paper it is written on, everyone should have the oppurtunity to get one, and there should be no seasons and no restrictions. When the management goal is reached by zone just shut it down till next year.